The Office of the Ombudsperson follows the Standards of Practice of The International Ombuds Association. It is an independent, neutral, informal, and, as permitted by law, confidential resource for faculty, staff, and students who have concerns arising from or affecting their work and studies at Georgia State University. We provide a space for every voice within the GSU community to be heard and to receive impartial attention without fear of loss of privacy. Facilitating communication and assisting parties in reaching their own mutually acceptable agreements when conflicts arise, we offer a fair and informal conflict management system at the University and support systemic changes that foster a positive and inclusive campus climate. This includes making recommendations for review when policies or procedures at the University generate trends or patterns in conflicts or concerns.
The Office of the Ombudsperson can offer assistance when you are looking to:
- Think through any issue arising from your life at GSU
- Clarify University policies and procedures
- Navigate the University bureaucracy
- Explore informal conflict resolution options
- Get assistance with a difficult conversation with a colleague, supervisor, employee, professor, student, or classmate
- Discuss an ethical or misconduct concern that you would like to address
- Find the appropriate person, department, or office within the University as well as off-campus resources to address your questions or concerns
The Office of the Ombudsperson operates within University policy and reports to the Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs for administrative and budgetary purposes. We are not authorized to accept legal notice and will not be part of any formal grievance processes. Participation in our program is voluntary. Anyone choosing to use our services is understood to have agreed to abide by the principles of The International Ombuds Association, including not calling the Ombudspersons to testify regarding confidential communications.
Please give us a call at 404-413-2510 for more information or to schedule an appointment.